Thursday 10 January 2013

2013 -- The Year of Martial Arts?

I mentioned already how 2013 started with martial arts training both on New Year's Eve and on New Year's Day. Martial arts seem to be the main theme during the first week or two for 2013.

Apart from my regular training, last week Friday I had another martial art photo shoot. Unlike the previous photo shoot I did last year that was part of an art project, this one was for marketing purposes.


It was great fun. The other male model I worked with was in awesome shape and in one photo I am supposed to be the coach teaching him how to use the kettle bells, but considering his good form it looks more like he is the coach and I'm the lanky student following him.


Apart from Taekwon-Do and cross-fit, we also did some MMA modelling, which includes stand-up fighting and ground work.



Tonight (Thursday night) I had a strange but interesting meeting with two Korean Taekwon-Do champions. The one is a three time World Taekwon-Do Champion and one time Asian Games champion, and the other a 1992 Olympic Champion. They both immigrated to the United States where they run very successful Taekwon-Do schools, but one has now returned to Korea after he had finished his doctorate in Physical Education. He has been offered a tenure position at Dongguk University here in Korea and will be teaching in the Taekwon-Do Department. It was a very interesting evening speaking to the two of them about their past experiences and their current endeavors.

Some thing I have not mentioned in this blog before is that I too will be commencing a PhD, and also in the field of Taekwon-Do. I've been accepted into graduate Taekwon-Do program here in Korea, where I will pursue my studies with a special personal focus on Martial Arts Philosophy. I will do this part time, as I'm still working full time at another university. It is going to require some hard work and lots of focus, but I'm sure I can do it by the grace of God.

Indeed, 2013 may just be the Year of the Martial Arts for me. Interestingly, a decade ago in 2003 I also had a martial art focused year when I moved to the small coastal town, Mtunzini in Zululand. There I spent my days studying martial arts. In the evenings I would either teach martial arts and fitness for an income, or go to the neighboring towns, Empangheni or Richardsbay, where I practised with then one of South Africa's foremost Taekwon-Do practitioners.

2 comments:

Kstylick said...

Been wanting to learn any martial arts too. Maybe we could follow each other on Bloglovin and/or GFC?

Please leave me a comment on my blog and I will follow you!

http://kstylick.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

When opting for a martial art, you should so that you can get to understand extra about it ahead of you get started coaching. learn extra in regards to the history, philosophy and building of the combative art. You will have to watch one of the most loose video clips to be had in the market